Re: Kadina-Bute railway line back on map

Tell wrote:

> Yes, various SA Govs over the years turned their backs
> on the "country" rail services.  I was over Kadina way
> a while back, and the roads over there have been
> absolutely hammered by the increase in trucks.
>
> ....Tell
>

> >lbrown2@bigpond.com (Brown Family) wrote:
> >
> > With Pichi Rich, Mount Gambier, Victor Harbo(u)r and Wallaroo, what
> > line in SA will be next? Why not preserve the ALL the railways in
> > South Australia? There can't be that many left!
> >
> > I can see it now. "South Australia Railways Preservation  Society".
> >
> > I am sure this is the best, if not the only way, that SA railways get
> > proper and decent funding. Why not make Diana Laidlaw,  madam-patron
> > of whole system?
> >
> > Can anyone think of a way to convince the SA Government that the Alice
> > Springs-Darwin railway consortium is really run by a group of
> > not-for-profit gunzels and retired railway people? Bet you $70 million
> > appears in a flash. It's certainly far less threatening to the
> > road-trucking lobby.
> >
> > It makes me sick.............
> >
> > Les Brown

I was up that way just after Christmas.    I went via Snowtown to see
what was going on there as far as the new grain silos were concerned
then went down to Wallaroo through Barunga Gap.

The line is substantially intact but 20 years out of use.

What amazed me were the huge number of semis coming the other way
carrying grain from Wallaroo to the new Snowtown silos for transhipping
to rail.

Why?   Why was the railway service stopped to a grain port in the first
place?

And that day (26th december) saw the first train to Bute by the YPRPS.

Cheers
Neil Waller