Re: multiple choice, 3 point turn and a hill start - here's your licence

Greetings Group,
A few years ago such a "burnout" feat was performed by the UK loco "Blue
Peter" when it carried water over into the cylinders and slipped
spectacularly. The cost of that "burn-out" was conservatively calculated at
around $A150,000. Damage  included bent main driving rods on one side of the
locomotive and damage to valves in the steam chest. I know of one other
incident in the UK when a "Duchess" slipped in a station and burned its
wheels through the rails and into the ballast before the wheels could be
stopped.

The only "burnout" I have seen was a NSW 45 class (4529) and about 16 S
trucks running away down the Unanderra Moss Vale line (falling 1 in 32
grade) with everything locked on. The cloud of smoke trailing behind the
train was almost as spectacular a the speed at which the train went past.
The sparks from the wheels set the lineside alight in several places. The
local Bushfire brigade later drove up the tracks putting out the spot fires.
The wheels on the wagons were blue hot after they piled up in Unanderra
yard.

These "burnouts" should not be performed often, but they can be
spectacular!!!
Regards, John Garaty

3A7EC5AD.D9064D32@ozemail.com.au">news:3A7EC5AD.D9064D32@ozemail.com.au...