Re: [Trams] Grand Unions in Australasia

In article <3a7b94d7@news.iprolink.co.nz>,
  David McLoughlin <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

> I gather Balaclava Junction remains as a grand union because of the
> Victorian National Trust, the same body which has ensured several
> hundred W-class trams are rotting away in places like the old Newport
> workshops rather than running in places which would like to run them.

I lived for a couple of years at Caulfield, five minutes walk from
Balaclava Junction.  I was under the impression (then) that on Caulfied
race days it was possible to see trams using all possible routes, as
the N-E corner was used by trams from Malvern depot heading to and form
the raceccourse.  Admittedly not a regular route. I have no conclusive
evidence of this - would need to ask around amongst others who also live
close to the junction.

Not certain what the status is now though...

--
John Dennis
Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway

Sent via Deja.com