Re: [Trams] Grand Unions in Australasia

John Dennis wrote:

> In article <3a7b081f@news.iprolink.co.nz>,
>   David McLoughlin <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote:
> > John Dennis wrote:
> >>
> >> There is a Grand Union at Balaclava Junction in Melbourne.  There
> >> were one (or more) in Adelaide.  I believe there was one in Auckland.
> >
> > There were two in Auckland, both in the city centre -- at the
> > intersection of Queen St and Customs Street and Queen Street and
> > Wellesley Street. Last used in December 1956 when the last trams ran.
>
> Thanks David.  Do you know of any others in NZ?

There were no others in New Zealand, that I can tell you withy accuracy.
I have long been surprised there were two in Auckland, in the same
(main) street of town. As with the Balaclava Junction, there was/is no
need for so many turns, as there were never routes that needed to use
all those tracks.

I gather Balaclava Junction remains as a grand union because of the
Victorian National Trust, the same body which has ensured several
hundred W-class trams are rotting away in places like the old Newport
workshops rather than running in places which would like to run them.