Re: {Rumor) Are the VR "C" Class up for sale ?

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:09:12 GMT, James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>> So C503 would be a major overhaul, while X35 would be (virtually)
>> building a new locomotive.
>
>So far I've been told X35 will be rebuild to something similar to X38
>currently been rebuild at Dynon with 3000hp engine.
>
>I wondered how much would it cost for rebuld X35 compare with order
>brand new loco similar to ARG Q class or QR 4000 class loco?
>
>Would FA one day rebuild those Ararat accident damaged G class?
>

>--
>Cheers
>
>Railway Rasputin

A brand new locomotive (like a Q class ) is currently about $5 million
given the low $A dollar comapred to the $US.
The real question is whether for the expenditure an addional loco will
earn enough revenue to pay for itself.
I suspect that a rebuilt loco is still a much better deal.
Leasing other peoples locomotives is better again.

MD