Re: [SA] What is With TRANSADELAIDE????

Ted Gay <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote in article
<R5Jd6.13358$65.72514@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>:

>But surely you're not claiming that the O-Bahn system can go EVERYWHERE?
> It appears to need the same space a light rail system requires, with
>prepared foundations, footings etc beneath the track.

Definately not suggesting the OBahn should be used everywhere. It should be
used in places where the space is available but building a railway/tramway
is impractical. This could also include isolated outer suburban areas where
a tram wouldn't even dream of going. (Example, in Melbourne, the cross
suburban networks much desired by gunzels, e.g. Frankston-Cranbourne,
Ring road route, etc).

>What speeds are used on the O-Bahn?  I heard that it was built for
>100km/h running, but artics (bendy buses) with the rear steering effect
>were wearing out the sidewalls of their tyres on the guide rails and
>were restricted to much slower speeds.

When I trialled it, my GPS recorded a maximum speed of 101kph, while in a
bendy bus. Speed limit in that section was 100kph I think. Sitting in the
rear portion, it didn't feel like it was swaying at all, so I am assuming
it kept pretty straight.

Michael.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME