Re: (NSW) Coding ON ROLLINGSTOCK

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
xlvd6.84558$lV5.1651137@news2.giganews.com">news:xlvd6.84558$lV5.1651137@news2.giganews.com...
> "Philip Shortus" <Shortus@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Voud6.12865$65.69358@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:Voud6.12865$65.69358@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> > Does anybody know what the codoing on NSWGR rollingstock (pre 1970s)
> meant?
> > (example TAM on sleepers) I know the coding for freightcorp/rail stuff
is
> > but if anybody knows the coding for pre 1970s stuff is could you please
> tell
> > me.
>
> For passenger stock, you can apply the following (general) rules:
>
> B - First Class
> C - Composite
> D - Dayniter
> F - Second Class
> H - Guards accommodation
> O - hOstess compartment
> P - Power generators
> R - Buffet facilities
>
> There were combinations of this - so you had the HUB sets, that were
> comprised of a PFH (P for power, F for second class, H for car type), a
few
> FH's, an RFH (second class with buffet), an RBH (first class with buffet),
> some BH's, and an HFH (second class with guards compartment).
>
> The dining cars were AB and ABS, so not sure how the AB came about to show
> diners. Sleepers were generally of the *AM type, but roomettes were LAN -
> the AM showed they were Mann type sleepers.

AL for cars with longitudinal berths, AL and MAL.

> As for guards vans, they were generally coded *HO for passenger stock, and
> *HG for freight stock - so we had MHO guards vans, and MHG guards vans
> (although they were totally different). I believe the last letter was
> changed on passenger guard vans to show which cars could be hauled by
> U-boats (but can't quite stretch the brain cells at the moment to
remember).

Y, I think.

While the above is correct, Dave should have pointed out that one letter in
each code defines the type of car, (the S in FS, BS and BSR) for example.

Freight stock is to detailed to realy list here, and some seem to make no
sense at all, though there are some general rules.
WH- wheat hopper, BWH- bogie wheat hopper.
CH-coal hopper, BCH-bogie coal hopper.
Most with less than 2 letters are 4 wheeled wagons, S, open trucks, K, open
trucks, RU wheat hoppers.
Any thing with HG as the last 2 letters is a brake van, HG, CHG, FHG, LHG,
MHG, PHG etc.

Dave Malcolm