Re: (NSW) Coding ON ROLLINGSTOCK

"Philip Shortus" <Shortus@bigpond.com> wrote in message
Voud6.12865$65.69358@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:Voud6.12865$65.69358@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Does anybody know what the codoing on NSWGR rollingstock (pre 1970s)
meant?
> (example TAM on sleepers) I know the coding for freightcorp/rail stuff is
> but if anybody knows the coding for pre 1970s stuff is could you please
tell
> me.

For passenger stock, you can apply the following (general) rules:

B - First Class
C - Composite
D - Dayniter
F - Second Class
H - Guards accommodation
O - hOstess compartment
P - Power generators
R - Buffet facilities

There were combinations of this - so you had the HUB sets, that were
comprised of a PFH (P for power, F for second class, H for car type), a few
FH's, an RFH (second class with buffet), an RBH (first class with buffet),
some BH's, and an HFH (second class with guards compartment).

The dining cars were AB and ABS, so not sure how the AB came about to show
diners. Sleepers were generally of the *AM type, but roomettes were LAN -
the AM showed they were Mann type sleepers.

As for guards vans, they were generally coded *HO for passenger stock, and
*HG for freight stock - so we had MHO guards vans, and MHG guards vans
(although they were totally different). I believe the last letter was
changed on passenger guard vans to show which cars could be hauled by
U-boats (but can't quite stretch the brain cells at the moment to remember).

As for the rest, someone else might be able to help out.

Dave