Re: [SA] What is With TRANSADELAIDE????

"Michael Kurkowski" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
3A760C87.527A601E@gunzel.net">news:3A760C87.527A601E@gunzel.net...
> Ted Gay wrote:
>
> > > James.. I think Ted was more suprised by the O-Bahns description of
"nice"
> > > rather than requiring a explanation of what it is :)
> > >

> > Exactly! :-)     Ted
>
> Ok, I better cover my behind here... What I meant was, it's a nice
> novelty. Got to have a ride on it a couple of weeks ago while in
> Adelaide. I think, the O-Bahn system can be put to good use to work with
> rather than against rail. It's a shame that the SA government are
> seemingly using it against rail.
>
> The biggest advantage of course is it can perform the duties of a bus,
> without having to compete for road space with cars. If it was used to
> feed the rail network, it would be good. Also useful where building a
> railway would be a total waste (some people may hate me for saying this,
> but you can't build a railway EVERYWHERE - particularly where both the
> terrain and patronage would make a railway useless).

But surely you're not claiming that the O-Bahn system can go EVERYWHERE?  It
appears to need the same space a light rail system requires, with prepared
foundations, footings etc beneath the track.

What speeds are used on the O-Bahn?  I heard that it was built for 100km/h
running, but artics (bendy buses) with the rear steering effect were wearing
out the sidewalls of their tyres on the guide rails and were restricted to
much slower speeds.

Ted