Re: [Melb] FSS Wheelchair incident - 2 years jail

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a761ce7$0$16383$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a761ce7$0$16383$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Andy B"
> | It was ?? - I read it as being the wheelchair guy made the comment about
> the
> | other guy, and he pushed him as a result.
>
> The original post said:
> "MELBOURNE, Jan 25 AAP - A 20-year-old man who pushed a wheelchair-bound
man
> on to railway lines as a train approached at Melbourne's Flinders St
station
> was today jailed for two years.
>
> Aaron Wade Austin was ordered to serve a minimum non-parole term of 20
> months for pushing 24-year-old Alan McGuirk on to the tracks.
>
> Austin pleaded guilty in the County Court to one count of recklessly
causing
> serious injury.
>
> The court heard Austin lost his temper and reacted impulsively when Mr
> McGuirk bumped him on the back of his legs with his motorised wheelchair
> after Austin had made a derogatory remark about his brightly colored
mohawk
> hairstyle."
>
> So it was the veggie McGuirk who had the stupid haircut. It was Austin who
> put shit on it. The veggie assaulted Austin who then tried to grab the
> wheelchair controls - presumably to stop the veggie from assaulting him
> further. It was an accident that the veggie ended up on the track. It was
> Austin who saved him.

Without being there, I don't see how you can make that presumption. If
someone in a wheelchair attacks you, why can't you just walk away
(preferably up the escalator)? Anyway the article says that Austin lost his
temper - not that he was defending himself. Maybe Austin should have kept
his opinion of the haircut to himself.

As for the veggie remarks, I hope you get as much compassion and
understanding if you're ever confined to a wheelchair.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au