Saviour of Melbourne's trams [was Re: Official launch in Bendigo of restored Sydney tram R 1808

David McLoughlin wrote:

>  Sir Robert Risson was chairman or deputy chairman of the MMTB from
> 1949 until 1970.

On reconsulting my records and books, I can affirm that Major General
Sir Robert Risson was *chairman* of the MMTB from 1949 to 1970.
Twenty-one years in which he fought off the anti-tram tide and kept the
huge Melbourne system going in the face of odds that destroyed scores of
tramway systems elsewhere.

> Melbourne's tramway system is the greatest possible monument to Sir
> Robert Risson.

He is without doubt the man who saved Melbourne's great tramway system,
one of the world's greatest tramway systems and by far the biggest
tramway in any English-speaking country (and in non-English speaking
ones, only Sankt Petersburg and Wien are bigger, and Milano is fourth in
size behind Melbourne).

Please go back up the thread if the above confuses you.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand