Re: Picton-Mittagong Loop Line Re-opens?

"Malcolm Purvis" <malcolmpurvis@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
m3ae99orgl.fsf@co3018576-a.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au">news:m3ae99orgl.fsf@co3018576-a.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au...

> Is this true all the way to Mittagong?  I've wondered on occasion just how
> practical it would be for the RTM to reopen the loop and run its tours
along
> it instead of the main line.
>
> Malcolm

Isn't true - there was most of a wooden trestle bridge missing near Braemar
for example.  A few years ago did a visit to Braemar engineering works where
the 82 class locos were being assembled, and there was a concrete sleeper
works nearby.  The loop line was open between Mittagong and a point just
south of the missing bridge so that the sleepers and new locos could be got
out, but the loop line looked rusty when I passed over it yesterday.  Might
take a gander around the area in the next day or two and get back to you.

The RTM did have ambitious plans to re-open the loopline and have services
running practically daily with steam trains in their ten year plan put out
about ten years ago, but are now down to one operational steam loco, it's
obviously well beyond their meagre resources to re-open south of Buxton.

Regards

David Bennetts
Bowral