Re: Picton-Mittagong Loop Line Re-opens?

In article <3a519283@fl.net.au>, Chris <chrisc@fl.net.au> wrote:
>I believe there is (or was) a proposal floating around to build a few new
>sidings to unload spoil trains from some proposed tunneling project in
>Sydney (Chatswood link?) and run a conveyor from the rail line to a nearby
>disused quarry and fill it in on the southern part of the loop line.
>I wonder if this would affect the RTM's operations.

 The quarry isn't disused. Every now and then a proposal surfaces to
haul gravel out by rail.

 Any such use would be subject to the RTM's operations control anyway, one
of reason the lease took so long to be signed all those years ago was to
clarify such things.
 The spoil trains would operate during the week, a fee would be paied to
the RTM for track access and on weekends the loop-line service operates
as it always has.

 The line south of Buxton isnt fit for traffic anyway, it has suffered
a bit of erosion in places. Nothing a few full balast hoppers, a tamper
and a balast regulator couldn't fix in a few days.