Re: [VIC]outer loop line?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:49:31 +1300, David McLoughlin
<davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>Did it join at Oakleigh with the Dandenong line or stop short of that
>somewhere?

It joined the Dandenong line between Murrumbeena and Hughesdale.
I believe that one of the original reasons for its construction was so
that government-operated freight trains could bypass the
then-privately owned section from Richmond to Oakleigh.

>All trace of the line past Alamein seems to have vanished,
>though there is still plenty of evidence of the Fairfield- East
>Camberwell alignments.

That would be because most of the Fairfield - East Camberwell section
re-opened after the Outer Circle closed (1910?), in the form of the
APM siding at Fairfield and the East Kew - East Camberwell line.  The
section south of Alamein never reopened.

Regards,

Chris Brown