Re: [VIC]outer loop line?

<Chris Brown> wrote in message
3a5be2f4.14848607@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3a5be2f4.14848607@news.alphalink.com.au...
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:49:31 +1300, David McLoughlin
> <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >Did it join at Oakleigh with the Dandenong line or stop short of that
> >somewhere?
>
> It joined the Dandenong line between Murrumbeena and Hughesdale.
> I believe that one of the original reasons for its construction was so
> that government-operated freight trains could bypass the
> then-privately owned section from Richmond to Oakleigh.
>
> >All trace of the line past Alamein seems to have vanished,
> >though there is still plenty of evidence of the Fairfield- East
> >Camberwell alignments.
>
> That would be because most of the Fairfield - East Camberwell section
> re-opened after the Outer Circle closed (1910?), in the form of the
> APM siding at Fairfield and the East Kew - East Camberwell line.  The
> section south of Alamein never reopened.

I hope this helps.

According to "Walking Melbournes Closed Railways, The outer circle Railway-
East Camberwell to Fairfield" produced by the ARHS (which I got about 3
years ago from the Technical Book Shop for $1.95). East Kew was opened to
passengers in March 1891 and closed to passengers in April 1893. The line to
East Kew was re-opened in February 1925 for goods traffic and was closed in
September 1943.

--
Ben Smith