Re: Welshpool to Port Welshpool NG

Just to muddy the water,in the beginning there was a tramway from Hodgkinson
to Port Welshpool,owned by a man called Mason.
It crossed beneath the Great Southern line,was 3 foot gauge and was operated
by a 20 horsepower locomotive called the Khartoum,and often driven by Barney
Hughes.
They ran 3 trips daily from the mill to Port Welshpool taking one hour to
cover the 4 miles on timber rails(ties or sleepers) surfaced with 14 Ib
Krupp steel.
A stop was made half way to take on water from a drain beside the line which
was originally surveyed and planed by Moore who was Mason's partner.
It was believed in the district that Khartoum was built for service in
Egypt.She was bought to Port Welshpool,together with the steel rails in the
schooner Coquette in June 1891. Mason paid five hundred pounds for her.
The engine burned Newcastle coal,hauled hundreds of logs 30-60 feet in
length six at a time to waiting schooners
The mill at Hodgkinson was later connected to to Masons siding on the main
line between Hedley and Welshpool by means of a loop.
from the Great Southern Railway by Keith Macrae Bowden
Graeme
eCY66.539$aQ1.22778@ozemail.com.au">news:eCY66.539$aQ1.22778@ozemail.com.au...