Re: Why keep Clyde?

Michael wrote:

> Instead of running Clyde-Carlingford shuttles, run Olympic Park -
> Carlingford services. Makes much sense.

But would it be practical - only a four car service and you already have the
Olympic Park Sprint servce? What a waste of a platform if an Olympic Park
-Carlingford service ran instead. The timetable would also be very tight.
There is only one service that does this - the 6am from Carlingford on
weekends and it does not have much allowance for delays.

> While youre at it, up the frequency on the Carlingford line to 30 minutes
> instead of the current 60.

The problem is that the round trip journey time (Clyde - Carlingford - Clyde)
is more that 30 minutes and even if you put two trains onto the service the
single line working still makes a 30 minute service impossible. The best
single train service was in a timetable that came (and just as quickly went) a
few year ago when trains ran every 45 to 55 minutes. The intervals made it
vital that you carried a timetable with you to check when the next train left.
The current system, at least, makes it easy to remember the offpeak timetable
- on the hour from Carlingford, 20 minutes to the hour from Clyde.

During the 1996?? line shut down to rebuild the bridge over the Parramatta
River, the replacement bus service ran at 30 minute intervals which was much
appreciated (even if waiting at the Clyde bus stop in the rain wasn't).

To reply to me direct, remove one of the "w"s from the return address