Re: SCT Traffic

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 19:43:08 +0930, Tell <just@hate.spammers.com>
wrote:

>Right on Maurie.
>
>In-line fueling was I believe a US railroad initiative
>(where else) and given an initial trial by Australian
>National in 1988 with CL's 6 & 12 into Alice Springs
>and their western route later.
>
>Road Trains in the NT have been carrying "belly tanks"
>under some of their trailers for many years, one of
>many reasons why roadrailer never took off up here.
>
>My guess is, many truckies have been doing the same
>into Victoria for years, I bet the temporary labor
>government down there has not figured that one yet.!
>
>....Tell

Yes, one cant help get the feeling that the Vic Labor Govt, being
totally opposed to the sale of Vline freight when in opposition,is now
simply trying to make life as hard as possible for FA, ie they are
blaming FA for what was a Kennet Govt policy.

Im still not convinced that FA need to do this though , ie the thru
fuel tanks.
Gs have around 10000 litre tanks and this should allow a thru run from
Pt Augusta to Kalgoorlie, (cutting it pretty fine mind you)
It surelty however should be able to refuel in Woomera from a road
side tanker.
Woomera to kalgoorlie is 1500 km which allows a fuel consumption of
6.5 litres per km.
This would work for a train loaded to 2 hp per tonne , ie 1500 tonnes
per G .
Woomera is a fair sized town and getting road side tankers woudlnt be
that hard , after all most of the fuel for the town comes by road.

Do Gs and indeed any of the more modern locos have fuel flow
indicators ?

MD