Re: CityRail Has A Bad Night and Stupid DVA's

"Hoges" <pghogan@NOSPAMbigpond.com> wrote in message
HID86.3556$65.21662@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:HID86.3556$65.21662@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> example -  when the 1950 Newcastle service eventually arrived via the
> Shore at 2115, they apparently couldn't find a recording to cover
> something being 90 minutes late, so an announcement was repeatedly
> broadcast :  "The next train on number two platform is running
> (pause) LATE! "

The highest number recorded is 60, with things like "70th", "80th" etc
covered.

>  "The train on Number 3 platform goes to Epping."   A fair response
> to this was "Then what?" which of course went unanswered.

Did it run express to Epping only?

> Foe heavens sakes guys, when a serious network disruption occurs, and
> the timetable goes out the window , TURN THE BLOODY DVA's OFF; they
> make the situation worse!  The repeated and inane "CityRail regret
> any inconvenience caused" only inflame the public more in these
> circumstances.

There are many more suitable messages that could have been used - it just
depends on the person using it.  The DVA is in fact very, very flexible.
The recent update has many more words and phrases.

> Having been trained in customer service, this goes against every
> principle of managing your customers. All the high tech fancy stuff
> might sound impressive when the system is running normally, but in
> crisis management, passengers want to be told SOMETHING, even if it
> is no news or bad news. One simple announcement at Hornsby tonight would
> have
> sufficed, along the lines of " Your attention please, owing to a severe
wind
> storm which has brought down overhead wires, services are disrupted
> on all lines. Please stand by for further information as it comes to
> hand."   No , it appears the common sense gene has been selectively
> bred out of station attendants,

Two announcements that have been recorded would have been suitable for it -
one which states "we apologise <snip>....this has been caused by weather
conditions.  Please stand by etc...", and another stating "owing to overhead
wiring problems....".  Alas, I have never heard these used on a platform!