Re: [SYD] Central Yard signal SY54

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
3A697AA3.F90FF0E6@efs.mq.edu.au">news:3A697AA3.F90FF0E6@efs.mq.edu.au...
> Maikha wrote
>
> > > The signal was full red, but then the bottom light on SY54 had lit up
> > > and the loco hauled train slowly moved out, on its way to Flemo.
>
> > > Can anyone out there give abit of a word on this?
>
> Presumably the "bottom light" you referred to was yellow, i.e. a "shunt"
> light which authorises a train to pass the signal prepared to stop short
> of any obstruction.
>
> Signal-spotter wrote in response
>
> > Could be a subsidiary shunt if it showed yellow or a Low Speed if it
> > showed green, although the latter is generally mounted in the bottom
> > head.
>
> The signal in question, like the other running signals in Sydney Yard
> north of Cleveland St, is a single-light-indication type. As far as I
> can recall on a quick mental scan, none of the single-light signals in
> Sydney Yard are fitted with low speed indications.
>
> Your generalisation re low speeds usually being mounted in the bottom
> head (of double-light signals, presumably) is interesting, in that the
> Strathfield/Lidcombe area is particularly rich in signals where the low
> speed lights are on separate units rather than being the lowest light in
> the lower main head. I don't know why - can anyone cast any light on
> this (no pun intended)? One might theorise that they were designed to be
> close-ups rather than low-speeds (and someone changed their mind in the
> design stage) or maybe simply someone decided it was cheaper that way,
> but does anyone know definitively?
>
> Eddie

I can't confirm Eddie but your theory sounds correct.  Some of these (now) low
speed indicators (eastern side of Lidcombe from memory) have two black metal
supports above the low speed indicator pointing at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
These supported the "close up" sign prior to resignalling a couple of decades
ago.  The same style of signal with the same converted separate low speed
indicator is in existence between Redfern and Erskineville on the down
Illawarra local line at least.

Chris