Re: [VICTORIA] Student Concession questions

Just a little more information to what Sam Eades has stated in his
reply:

Stacy wrote:

> Well, after much anticipation the 2001 application is out and
> unfortunately tertiary students are still expected to pay through the
> nose ($75), for what is free in many other states of Australia, and for
> what secondary students pay 10% of what we do, for the same thing.
>
> Also, has anyone ever actually stopped and thought of abolishing the
> notion of the "Primary"/Secondary concession card (how many primary
> school students are over 15 years of age???), and simply making one
> secondary/tertiary concession card?
>
> Labor has done the right thing by reducing the tertiary conession card
> price but they haven't gone far enough.
>
> Now for a couple of questions...
>
> Firstly, does the information provided by students on the application
> form actually get checked by STATION STAFF / PRIVATE OPERATORS (eg by
> ringing the school), or is it assumed that the info has been checked by
> the person that signed it at the school and just processed without
> verification???

There is a list of schools whose students are eligible to get concession
cards.  When you work at a station, it is not hard to know those local
and major institutions that on the list.

> Secondly, what happens to the data we students fill in? Is the
> completed form simply stored at the station it's processed at, or is it
> entered onto a central database, or are the forms sent to a central
> location?

Processed concession applications are entered into a central database at
point of issue, but the form is stored at the location of issue.  From
the database, a list of schools can be generated.  Those who tried to be
"creative" will be caught and appropriate action will be take.  Don't
forget, such a person is not cheating against the transport operators,
rather, State Government of Victoria (noticed the logo on the form).

Railvic