Re: [VICTORIA] Student Concession questions

Stacy <chapel_st_boy@my-deja.com> wrote in message
94jfsh$b7t$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:94jfsh$b7t$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Well, after much anticipation the 2001 application is out and
> unfortunately tertiary students are still expected to pay through the
> nose ($75), for what is free in many other states of Australia, and for
> what secondary students pay 10% of what we do, for the same thing.

I agree, Tertiary cards should be cheaper (about 90% cheaper).

> Also, has anyone ever actually stopped and thought of abolishing the
> notion of the "Primary"/Secondary concession card (how many primary
> school students are over 15 years of age???), and simply making one
> secondary/tertiary concession card?

Well, the prim/sec conc. card is also used as a photo ID for the yearly/half
yearly travel pass, so that other people can't use it... Also useful for
older sec. students who may be up to 18 years old (amazing the volume sold
just before the summer hols!!)

> Labor has done the right thing by reducing the tertiary conession card
> price but they haven't gone far enough.

Agreed

> Now for a couple of questions...
>
> Firstly, does the information provided by students on the application
> form actually get checked by STATION STAFF / PRIVATE OPERATORS (eg by
> ringing the school), or is it assumed that the info has been checked by
> the person that signed it at the school and just processed without
> verification???

No, they are no regularly checked up, unless the person processing the form
thinks it is strange... The school stamp and signature is usually good
enough...

> Secondly, what happens to the data we students fill in? Is the
> completed form simply stored at the station it's processed at, or is it
> entered onto a central database, or are the forms sent to a central
> location?

It is stored in a filing cabinet for a year (in case you loose it, and have
to get it replaced). It is then stored in a box in the station's store room
for about 2 years (don't ask why) then it is (supposedly) shredded.

Hope this was of help!

Sam