Re: [General] Information about block working

David & Julie Donald wrote:

> A better example would be the former location of Gresham, where it was Double
> Line Block (using Tyer's 3:1) between Newbridge and Gresham, and then ETS down
> the hill (initially to Wimbledon, but more recently to Tumulla).  As far as I am
> aware, the Signaller at Gresham could accept a train from Newbridge, under
> normal operating conditions, so far as the track was clear right through to his
> Home signal.

To the STARTING signal, not the home signal.

The actual clearance points were:

Down line: may accept from Wimbledon when line is clear to the Down
Starting Signal No. 5, by electric train staff.

Up line: may accept from Newbridge when line is clear to the Up Starting
Signal No 18 or 16 on the line for which No. 12 points are set [No. 12
points being the crossover at the Newbridge end], by Block Instrument.

Furthermore "Trains may be permitted to approach Gresham in the Down and
Up directions simultaneously, provided that Nos. 10 [single to double
track] and 12 points are maintained in the normal position until the
Down train has passed on to the Down Main line, clear of the junction.
If an Up train has been allowed to pass the Up Home signals Nos. 19 and
17, permission must not be given for a Down train to approach... from
Wimbledon until the Up train has been brought to a stand at No. 18 Up
Main Starting Signal."

Reference Circular 31-1 dated 9 February 1943.

A similar arrangement applied at Spring Hill.