Re: Airport line

In article <3a7408cf$0$16389$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  "Alex Pout" <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Evening all,
> Just back from a weekend trip to Melbourne.  Tried using Sydney's
airport line
> to get to terminal, but got caught up with a signal failure at Wolli
Creek,
> meaning all trains were cancelled.  Annoyed about that, since we'd
just
> coughed up $10 each to get there from Arncliffe.  Since we were out
of time,
> had to call a cab.  What are my chances of getting a refund on the
ticket??
> I've sent off a message to CityRail's feedback.
>
> While there, I spoke to a bloke on the platform who was taking pics
of the
> Campbelltown bound trains (they were the only ones arriving). He was
wondering
> what "the big festival" was, I told him it was the Big Day Out).  Just
> wondering if that was another aus.railer there (it was around 12-
12:20 on
> Friday afternoon, platform 1 at Wolli Creek), when all trains were
cancelled.

> Used the airport line again tonight to get back to Arncliffe, it
worked better
> this time (actually, could almost say it was perfect public
transport).  We
> walked out of the terminal to the station, waited about 2 minutes for
a train,
> changed at Wolli Creek for a Waterfall bound train, and only had
about another
> 3 minute wait for it.  After picking up our bags at about 5:40 (in
the Express
> terminal), we were walking off Arncliffe station at 5:58.  If only it
was like
> that all the time...

I had only good experiences with the airport line last week when I was
in Sydney, except for the hole in my wallet it left. Got off the plane
at 11:20, walked straight through the terminal (Qantas) down through
the luggage collection (didnt have any checked luggage though)and down
into the Domestic terminal station. I bought a ticket ,went down to the
platform and an s set had just pulled in, got on and had checked in to
my accomodation in the cbd by 1200 (midday).

Almost as streamlined on the way home, I had a lateish flight back to
melbourne so I had time to watch the XPT bound for melbourne leave (all
I could think was "suckers") and the late xpt from melbourne arrive at
central. Only had to wait 5 minutes on platform 22 for a nice
airconditioned/quiet tangara and got to the airport with an hour to
spare before my flight.

My verdict is that the airport line is good except for the cost,
especially getting too and from the CBD. Its a shame that you cant get
a discounted gate pass that is good for 2 passes through the barriers
at the airport stations with no expiry.

--------
Ben Smith

Sent via Deja.com