Re: 3801&3830

> I've done some driving of double headers on models, and fired a couple
> on full size, so have *some* experience and observations.
>
> Drivers will have a "feel" for the loco and train, and be able to tell
> by the sounds from both locos whether they're doing enough or too much.
> If you get a cab ride on a double header, you'll find that the drivers
> communicate with an occasional pop on the whistle and hand signals, as
> well as both of them knowing the road, so they know the speed they
> should be doing. Hand signals are elementary, and you can use your
> imagination there.
> In all cases, the lead loco sets the speed of the train, and has control
> of the braking, so most directions go to the second driver from the
> first.
> I doubt that radios are used for double heading, even though they're
> available, although I stand to be corrected.

I have heard that. However, I have another related question. In NSW
especially, banking was common practise. How did the rear engine manage to
push with enough force to lift the train up a hill (and not become more
weight) and yet balance that against pushing so hard as to derail the
train - especially with 4 wheelers? Long freights would have been a
particular problem, as the "feel" of the lead locos would be significantly
dampened by coupler force and tension, and hand signals would have been
difficult if not impossible. The brake van could have helped but how do you
communicate with the front?

These sort of questions, combined with the knowledge of how much coal a 38
consumes Sydney/Newcastle, give me a lot of respect for steam era crews!

Brendan