3801&3830

I watched 3801&3830 climb out of Fassifern yesterday on the way to
Maitland SteamFest
- a wonderful sight and sound.

I was wondering about the difficulties of running two steam locomotives
together. Like:
- How do they ensure they are working together rather than against each
other. For instance,
  if the driver in the leading loco wants to to slow down how is that
communicated to the
  rear loco driver so he doesn't keep pushing "full steam ahead" so to
speak?
- How do they get the powering right so they are both doing roughly half
the work?
- I suppose radios are used for communication today, but how was it done
before the advent
  of such technology?

Neil.