Re: 3801&3830

Neil O'Connor wrote:

> I watched 3801&3830 climb out of Fassifern yesterday on the way to
> Maitland SteamFest
> - a wonderful sight and sound.
>
> I was wondering about the difficulties of running two steam locomotives
> together. Like:
> - How do they ensure they are working together rather than against each
> other. For instance,
>   if the driver in the leading loco wants to to slow down how is that
> communicated to the
>   rear loco driver so he doesn't keep pushing "full steam ahead" so to
> speak?
> - How do they get the powering right so they are both doing roughly half
> the work?
> - I suppose radios are used for communication today, but how was it done
> before the advent
>   of such technology?
>
> Neil.

I've done some driving of double headers on models, and fired a couple
on full size, so have *some* experience and observations.

Drivers will have a "feel" for the loco and train, and be able to tell
by the sounds from both locos whether they're doing enough or too much.
If you get a cab ride on a double header, you'll find that the drivers
communicate with an occasional pop on the whistle and hand signals, as
well as both of them knowing the road, so they know the speed they
should be doing. Hand signals are elementary, and you can use your
imagination there.
In all cases, the lead loco sets the speed of the train, and has control
of the braking, so most directions go to the second driver from the
first.
I doubt that radios are used for double heading, even though they're
available, although I stand to be corrected.

Cheers,

Pee Aitch

--
Peter Homann