Re: New trams

in article slrn9emv18.jv.spammers-will-die@amalthea.dark.net, Jeremy Lunn at
spammers-will-die@austux.net wrote on 4/29/01 12:27 PM:

> In article <3aeb5a03$0$25469$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
> James C. wrote:
>>> it remains to be seen how long it will last. I'm sure the operators would
>>> split it up if they had the chance).
>>
>> I think they all know if they didi that it would discourage passengers.
>
> They don't need to do that.  It's already subsidised enough.
>
> I just wonder how they make a profit with all the fines they get (in
> particular NE).

Of course they make a profit.  You can't privitise something if it ain't
profitable, who would tender for it?

Go to the Met Shop in Elizabeth St and grab a copy of Track Record.  The Vic
government pays 10s of millions to each operator in subsidies and capital
works grants (those refurbished connex trains/yarra trams etc have been
largely paid for by the state govt you know) and then fines them a measly
hundred or two hundred grand.  The financial incentives are bullshit, they
are too weak to do anything.

It should be straightforward, if they don't offer a good enough service,
they don't get paid the subsidy.  When $80 million goes in one quarter, then
they'll pay attention and run a proper service.

Daniel