Re: Heritage trams on Metro Light Rail system?

"Joseph Spinella" <jspinella2000@MailAndNews.com> wrote in message
3B2F78F5@MailAndNews.com">news:3B2F78F5@MailAndNews.com...
> Does anyone know wether they are still planning to run Heritage trams on
the
> Sydney Metro Light Rail system? I was in at Central the other day,
> inspecting
> the loading guage and found at least one pole that was fairly close to the
> tracks. I'm sure a Sydney corridor tram would swing out far enough to come
> in
> contact with the pole.
> Joseph

It was my understanding that it was the intention to run heritage trams on
the system on special occasions if it were to be extended into the CBD area,
though this looks a way off at present.  There are some incompatibility
problems with the light rail system in terms of speed, signalling and
voltage (750V on light rail, 600V on heritage trams), and current collection
(pantograph vs trolley pole).  Also of course the heritage trams have
different boarding arrangements, and are not fitted with auto doors so they
would require additional supervision in traffic conditions.  Not
insurmountable problems but significant.

Don't know about the clearance issue, would have thought that overhang in
front of the bogies would have been worse for the light rail vehicles with
their wide fronts than the R and R1 class with their tapered design cabs.

Regards

David Bennetts