Re: Heritage trams on Metro Light Rail system?

In article <nJKF6.883$c01.27713@ozemail.com.au>,
David Bennetts <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>It was my understanding that it was the intention to run heritage trams on
>the system on special occasions if it were to be extended into the CBD area,
>though this looks a way off at present.  There are some incompatibility
>problems with the light rail system in terms of speed, signalling and
>voltage (750V on light rail, 600V on heritage trams), and current collection
>(pantograph vs trolley pole).  Also of course the heritage trams have
>different boarding arrangements, and are not fitted with auto doors so they
>would require additional supervision in traffic conditions.  Not
>insurmountable problems but significant.

 The R class bodies that the tram museum have stored pending 'possible
heritage use in the CBD' have no running gear or controllers. I expect that
if the idea ever comes to pass, the Rs will be fitted with compatable 750v
controlers (possibly modern chopper gear) and  pans. Possibly not modern pans,
but they will need pans to get to the depot. Something like the german bow
pan that 134s used when it scrubbed the line. Looks old, even if not
'authentic'.