Re: any hints for a long distance train traveller to be?

Kylie Fan <AussieKylieFan-==-@yahoo.com> wrote in message
3add3b9d$0$25475$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3add3b9d$0$25475$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> thats why i am taking a shortwave
> i have no probs picking up the BBC, radio aus or even on a good night
duche
> welle

Inside the carriage?

I doubt it.

Think of a train as an earthed metal enclosure.

You are trying to receive shortwave signals between about 6 and 22 MHz.  The
wavelengths
of these is between 13 and 60 metres.

Visualise a radio wave of that size trying to penetrate a train window one
or two metres square
or less.  If signals are very strong, you may get some reception inside.
This may be
the case in Europe where there are many stations transmitting within a
single hop
(1000 to 2000 kilometres away).  In Australia where signals must make
several
hops to get from the transmitter overseas to hear, more hops are required
and
signals tend to be weaker.

Therefore I don't like your chances of receiving shortwave.  Buses are
better for
this purpose.  Trams can have high levels of electrical noise that spoils
reception.
In any case you should generally get a window seat on the side of the train
facing
the radio station.

VHF and UHF signals have shorter wavelengths, and so aren't as heavily
attenuated
as lower frequencies.  However coating on windows can attenuate UHF
signals -
most notably on 1.3 GHz, though also obeservable on 432 MHz.  144 MHz is
less affected.  I have found FM broadcast radios work well inside trains,
especially
if you use a radio with a telescopic whip.  Portable TVs should also be OK
in some
places, though I haven't tried this.

Peter