Re: any hints for a long distance train traveller to be?

"Kylie Fan" <AussieKylieFan-==-@yahoo.com> wrote in message
3adc8b37$0$25504$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3adc8b37$0$25504$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> i am soon to be doing melbourne sydney brisbane over nighters on the train
> (with sleeper) and was wondering what hints experianced travellers can
give.
> eg can i take a battery powered shortwave radio on the train?
> thanks
> Kylie

Hi Kylie
Welcome to the uncomplicated, nostalgic and romantic world of modern day
rail travel. I hope the following FAQ's help

1. Can I take a battery powered shortwave radio on the train?
Good question. Yes you certainly can. Unlike airplanes, trains don't have
sensitive navigation equipment that radios can interfere with.

2. Can I take my mobile phone and use it on board?
Yes you can. You can have both radio, mobile phone, CD player etc on and
working from the time you board the train right to the end of your journey.
The good thing is that you don't have to turn them off everytime the train
arrives and leaves a station.

3. Does the Restaurant aboard the train accept credit cards.
Gone are the days when trains between Brisbane and Melbourne had restaurants
aboard  All you'll find is a snack bar. And to stay true to rail travels
uncomplicated world. No they don't accept credit or bank cards. They still
accept old fashioned cash.

4. Is there an ATM machine on board.
No there isn't. Take some cash with you.

5. Is there a Movie screen and TV on board.
Again not on the trains between Sydney and Melbourne. This helps to keep the
old fashioned romantic feel of rail travel. You'll be able to experience
travel just like your baby boomer parents did. Back in those days before the
internet, mobile phones etc, people actually sat around on trains and talked
to one another. Amazing.

6.With no TV or movies, I'd expect Country Link to provide some magazine
like the airlines do. Am I right?
Country Link does have its own in house magazine like the airlines do. Apart
from that, you might be lucky to find an old copy of Time magazine that some
other passenger has left behind. It has always been a tradition in rail
travel to buy yourself a magazine at the station before departure.

7. I've just recently immigrated to Australia. Can I get a vegetarian meal
like I do on the airplanes.
You'll be lucky to get a meal aboard these trains let alone a special
request like they provide aboard the airlines. It has been a tradition to
pack some fruit, sandwiches and biscuits (cookies)

8. What sort of food does the snack bar sell?
Good Aussie tucker. Pies, scones, Cherry Ripes and cups 'a' tea.

9. Can I get an alcoholic beverage on board?
Yes, you can. Beer and wine are available. The beer may be watered down to
stop you from getting drunk. Only light beer is sold on certain trains.

10. With such a lack of service you'd think that they don't want passengers.
Am I right?