Re: any hints for a long distance train traveller to be?

Peter Parker <parkerp@alphalink.com.au> wrote in article
<3add88ff@news.alphalink.com.au>:

>Think of a train as an earthed metal enclosure.
>
>You are trying to receive shortwave signals between about 6 and 22 MHz.
>The wavelengths
>of these is between 13 and 60 metres.
>
>Visualise a radio wave of that size trying to penetrate a train window
>one or two metres square
>or less.  If signals are very strong, you may get some reception inside.

Also take into account that the "gold tint" windows, are actually a
metallic coating.

>this purpose.  Trams can have high levels of electrical noise that

Except for Z1, Z2 and W class trams (-:

The others have chopper controls which are quite dirty (even if you are the
car sitting a few cars back from the tram youre following, while listening
to AM radio).

Sydney people who listen to AM radio on trains can probably testify to
this, Tangaras, C sets, V sets are hopeless.

MK.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME