Re: [SA] Outer Harbor/Grange Line (Gauge convertable sleepers?)

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3ada3a47.1372084@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3ada3a47.1372084@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:45:21 GMT, taliesin@NOSPAMchariot.net.au
> (Taliesin Walker) wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if the sleepers used in the recent relaying of the
> >Outer Harbor/Grange line was done with gauge convertable sleepers? (I
>
> I beleive that the sleepers were surplus from some other project and
> the STA got them cheaply , nothing to do with future guage conversion.

Further to that, only one country in the world did a system-wide gauge
conversion and that was (if memory serves correctly) Sweden. The suburban
system, they found, was too difficult to regauge , so they left it.
Personally, I envisage Victoria to take the same path - broad gauge commuter
trains, everything else standard gauge. Let's see how the next 10 years
shape up!!

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Email - mattyq1009 at dingoblue dot net dot au

Notice - All comments and opinions made herein are that of the author only
and do not represent the official view of QR. All text included in this post
(and/or reply) is copyright to the author. This message may not be
reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the
author.