More memories (was Re: Pacific Coast Aurora)

Dave Proctor wrote:

> I thought it was around 85/86, as there was much lamentations and gnashing
> of teeth over the failure of the Spirit of Progress to make it to the 50
> year old mark.
>
> (Although I could be wrong, I have been known to be wrong).

Only by a year :)

The last run of both trains was in August 1987. Railway Digest the
following month had a small, mournful photo of the last Aurora standing
at Platform 1 at Sydney Terminal waiting for its final run to Melbourne,
no fanfare or celebration to mark its last hurrah.

My own memory of it was from September 1983. Great run down to Melbourne
behind a 421 and a GM, but it was the return that was a bit of a doozey;
I had the (mis)fortune to be on the trip back involving the dining car
fire that some may remember made the SMH the next day. The trip out of
Melbourne was behind another GM and then 8113 from Albury, the 81s all
still fresh from delivery at that stage and regularly being assigned to
the Aurora. Woke up around 6am, train not moving. Look back out the door
to see the Gunning bush fire brigade and numerous train crew attending
to a mass of black smoke pouring out of the middle of the train. After
two and a half hours eventually we crawl into Goulburn for a 30 minute
stop where hungry passengers sate their hunger with tea and toast at the
refreshment room. Roll into Sydney Terminal just on midday. One of those
great railway adventures you relish when you're young and make you
decide to fly instead next time when you're older :)

In any case I'd take being late on the Aurora any day over being on time
on the train that replaced it, the infinitely hideous Sydney/Melbourne
Express.

Dion