Re: Pacific Coast Aurora

Morning to the group .
1 Pardon my ignorance ( as I am not a dedicated rail fan/nut)  But do like
train travel
2 The Aurora  title has been confusing the heck out of me over here in WA
3 I agree with Mark  it WAS the premier train  and a delight to travel on
as you arrived in melb  with most of your corro up to date  right in the
centre of the city and could hit the ground running business wise.
4 There was an interesting card school on board in the old days with some
very heavy and well known players .
Now what the heck is this Aurora you chaps are talking about ?
is it the same carriages  etc or  just the name has been lifted .

Oh while on a roll with 20 questions   what happened to the old spirit of
Progress  also not a bad train in its day ?
Thanks look forward to catching up on this data

kindest regards
Phil

--
http://cleaver.freeyellow.com/sad.html
and also   http://cleaver.freeyellow.com/caption2.html

THE NEW ADD YOUR OWN FACILITY http://www.angelfire.com/ab3/caption/link
"John Coyle" <John_member@newsranger.com> wrote in message
8O3C6.6444$FY5.511714@www.newsranger.com">news:8O3C6.6444$FY5.511714@www.newsranger.com...
In article <B6FDE392.258E%markbau@earthlink.net>, Mark Bau says...

I agee 100%, Mark! I worked for the old NSWGR from 1971 til 1988. In 1974 I
PAID
my fare on the "Southern Aurora" TEN TIMES between Melbourne and Sydney! If
had the cash "up front", I WOULD have obtained a yearly ticket, which WERE
available, in thos days! Southbound, I used the "South Mail" out of Sydney
on a
Thursday or Friday night. I would often ride a Southern NSW branch line, and
then the "Intercapital Daylight" to Melbourne, to visit my parents. The
"Aurora"
was a 100% sleeping car train, with a dining car, and lounge car. The train
was
up there, with other great trains, including the NYC "20th Century Limited".
My
most intersting trip on the "Aurora" was when it run into Sydney via Moss
Vale-Woolongong line! I also rode the "Spirit" via the Mittagong-Picton loop
line, but that's another story.