Re: City loop issues - clarification

Michael Wierzbinski <wizzer1865@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in article
<3ace87cd$0$25475$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
>907BE5BE3gunzelT333@203.164.20.149">news:907BE5BE3gunzelT333@203.164.20.149...
>> sjudin@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au (Stacy) wrote in
>> <3acd5d2c@mercury.its.rmit.edu.au>:
>>
>> >What I don't appreciate is the discrimination against Sandringham
>> >line customers. Ok, so there may not be enough slots for them to go
>> >via loop in the peak - but there is no excuse for not running them
>> >via the loop in the off peak windows. And for those of you saying
>> >their need to be direct trans from Richmond to Flinders in the AM,
>> >yeah I know - provision would need to be made for this.
>>
>> Be grateful that you do not have to participate in the morning crawl
>> of the northern loop (:
>>
>> Some days can take up to 20 mins to get thru that hole. Granted, most
>> people travel to the loop stations from what I have noticed, something
>> needs to be done about the frequent long waits for a path into
>> Flinders Street.
>
>This occurs because basically northern loop trains have only one
>platform to arrive at Flinders St (plat 5), as 4 is used for Alamein and
>Blackburn trains, because of fed square various supports were built one
>of which blocked access to platform 6. If this platform was still
>available and Alamein/Blackburn trains departed from elsewhere perhaps
>this bankup wouldn't occur.

Yep understood. Ah, I remember the days of using platform 6 for northern
group (via loop) trains. Federation square kinda jeffed that idea though.

In theory would it be hard to have Alamein, Blackburn trains running off
platform 8 and 9, with the provision of a flyover or flyunder somewhere
between Flinders Street and Richmond? This would leave platform 4 & 5 open
to northern group trains, and future expansion for all (expand northern
group services for greater frequency owing to the extra platform
availability, and the same applies for the Connex services that run from
platform 4 normally).

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME