RE: City loop issues - clarification

>I think you have lost sight of the bigger picture..or at least what I was
>trying to say.

That happens on newsgroups - the person who starts the thread doesn't
control
what direciton it might take

>In other words, in the morning we can go direct to loop stations without
>enduring the recovery time at Flinders St, nor enduring the Jolimont crawl
>(for southern and eastern customers) or the viaduct crawl, before reaching
>our combined underground destinations.
>
>Same applies for the afternoon.

Very nice for you, but what about people who want to go to Flinders or
Spencer
St? Or people like Tony who want to get to Flinders from Parliament to get a
train to Monash?

>What I don't appreciate is the discrimination against Sandringham line
>customers. Ok, so there may not be enough slots for them to go via loop in
>the peak - but there is no excuse for not running them via the loop in the
>off peak windows. And for those of you saying their need to be direct
>trans from Richmond to Flinders in the AM, yeah I know - provision would
>need to be made for this.

There is, actually (re Sandy). Its very hard to get a Sandringham train into
the loop because it crosses so many other paths.

If all the trains are running frequently then there are many options for
people without a direct link - you can change at Richmond, get a tram (which
would move faster with traffic light priority and further CBD
pedestrianisation)

I'd pair the Sandy train with the Airport train - have it run through the
city
and give Sandringham people the advantage of a direct airport link.

Vaughan Williams
Secretary
Public Transport Users Association
247 Flinders Lane