Re: Roll Call

Auz Viz wrote:

<snippity snup>

> Simpler,
>
> a)    You must have a valid ticket to be on the Network

As is already the case, and should remain the case imho.

> b)    If found anywhere "On the Network" without a valid ticket the fare is
> the maximum Network Fare (on the basis that you may have made this
> journey -not a fine)

If a) is legislated then it's a criminal offense, and should result in a
fine imho.

> c)    Ticket machines to issue "Authority To Travel Tickets" i.e. a Time,
> Date, Location stamped ticket for those without correct money etc.
> Additional simpler Authority To Travel machines installed to cater for when
> Ticket Office Closed, normal machine broke etc.

I know these are issued at smaller stations in the outer
suburban/regional areas of the CityRail network on the standard
machines. $2.40 each - subtracted from the fare at the end of the journey?

> d)    In case of presenting a valid Authority To Travel ticket at journey
> end, punter pays, by whatever means, the fare.

Agreed.

> e)    All gates to be manned OR flood network with on train ticket
> inspectors.

Or both.

> f)    yes more gates at busy station outside of CBD.

Certainly. Making use of said gates would also come in handy (I've lost
count of the number of times I've gone through the gates at outer
suburban stations when they've just been left open...)

> Not perfect but not too expensive to introduce.
>
> This stops the "I only got on at Redfern" argument for someone without a
> ticket at central.

Of course there's the "I got on at Casula" one...

Casula has no means of ticket purchasing whatsoever.

> Even simpler - close all ticket offices, make all Revenue Protection Staff
> redundant.  Scrap all forms of discount ticket etc - including Staff Passes.
> Install tall rotating turnstiles that require $2 to be entered for the
> punter to enter the Network - once in you can go wherever you like for the
> $2.  Stupid?? Work out how much all the Ticket Office staff cost in wages,
> Office accommodation Overheads etc.  Add to that the current lost revenue
> from concession tickets.  Then add all the Revenue Protection Staff, the
> ticketing system management, the cash and Ticket accounting systems, and all
> the hangers on to these things within SRA and maybe the $2 from everyone
> will produce greater overall revenue.

I don't know that it would be enough of a revenue stream increase to
cover the reduced fare. Not to mention that Ticket Office staff are
known to (sometimes, depends on the individual and location) provide
information to passengers, and be polite/courteus when doing so. I have
only had a few problems with staff to be honest. Maybe I am lucky?