Re: Roll Call

<snip>

18, West Hoxton NSW (was at Ingleburn until recently, now I have to get
an 853 bus to Liverpool Station instead of walking to Ingleburn
Station... ugh!)

I'm a Pensioner (DSP), make many trips right across the network although
most have been Liverpool/Ingleburn -> Glenfield (and return) just for
school. The interest in trains comes from being able to make extensive
usage of them very cheaply once I turned 16 and could get the $1/2/3
Pensioner Excursions. My Wednesday passtime is chewing out my fellow
students over buying Pensioner Excursions to go to sport.

> There also seems to be two trains of thought (pardon the pun) about trains,
> and public transport in general, one being the users' view of "Why can't my
> train run on time/run more often/run express/go direct to where I want etc",

> while on the other hand is what I'd call the blinkered management view of
> "Adapt to our system if you want to use it".  OK, I agree that there are going
> to be certain conditions placed on using a train for travel, but so there are
> with driving (road rules), flying (try getting on a plane without a ticket),
> and sailing/shipping (red means stop, green means go, ie you have to give way
> to vessels on your starboard (right) side).  The point I'm trying to make is
> that some compromise has to be reached between those providing the service and
> those using it.  Opinions?

As I say to those who whinge about Public Transport in general, try to
arrange your day around the train/bus/tram/ferry trips you have to make,
rather than the reverse if possible. That's what I do, helped by
frequent peak services.

> Finally, a ticketing idea which would reduce fare evasion quite substantially,
> but would probably cost a fair bit to implement (thinking of CityRail here).
> Firstly, have barrier gates at all stations.  Secondly, before going through
> the barrier, the passenger must take a blank ticket, which is then validated
> (for want of a better term) with the start point and time.  Finally, when the
> destination is reached, the ticket is put into the barrier again, which
> calculates the fare based on starting and finishing station.  If a token cost
> is put on the blank ticket, say $5, then at the destination, change is given
> or more money required to get out.  (If no money is presented within a given
> time, say 2 minutes, then a fine is issued).  The same ticket could be used
> for daily, weekly, or longer periods, as the amount owing is recalculated
> according to how many times a ticket is used between the stations, so it would
> get cheaper per trip the longer you use the ticket for.  It could also be used
> between any two stations, and if a network is used, then it works like a
> TravelPass or Zone 1-2-3 Metcard.  It would also save money by not requiring
> as many tickets or inspectors, and reduce the litter problem caused by tickets
> (are magnetic stripe tickets recyclable?).  Finally, throw in pre-payment of
> credit (like a photocopy card or an E-tag) and let people go until that's all
> used up.  Who's for and against?

Interesting idea.

I'd find a pre-paid fare card (a'la State Transit's TravelTens) with a
zoning system would probably be more effective though. Buy a ticket that
will give you x trips within a zone for $y.

I'm also of the opinion that Pensioner Excursions should not be
available from ticket machines (talk about widespread misuse!) and
replacement with  pass (a'la school rail pass). If you can't get the
ticket, you can't misuse it. How about more station staff whilst we're
at it?