Re: AP to Darwin on hold "YET AGAIN"

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:31:09 +1000, "William Miller"
<backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Ah. You said "4400 trucks use the Hume Highway every nite in both
>directions" which I took to mean as the total (ie *for* both directions)
>when really you meant 4400 in *each* direction.

Stuff snipped.

Yes I agree with all your comments re the inequity between rail and
road charging, but the problem is in how to fix it.

Road charges are in the main levied by the Feds (fuel excise being the
main revenue source , with minor components going to the States,
(registration charges , stamp duties on new vehicle purchases etc.)

Rail charges are in the main levied by the States ( track access fees
being the main revenue source , with addittional charges line
accreditation fees being charged by all State administrations.)

The 22 c/litre fuel excise on diesel is deemed to be a road usage
charge to allegedly pay for the damage done by heavy vehicles to the
road network,and there is some contention about whether the amount is
a fair amount to charge.
It is generally agreed though ,(BTE and PC confirm this ) that heavy
trucks that are doing regular long distance trips are underpaying
their way ,and trucks used for short trip deliveries within the cities
are being overcharged , as well as the poor motorists who are being
grossly overcharged.

Very little however , is mentioned about the charges that apply to
rail and how or why these are justified.
ARTC charges a fixed fee (flag fall) plus a GTK figure for every train