Re: AP to Darwin on hold "YET AGAIN"

Maurie Daly wrote:

> It is generally agreed though ,(BTE and PC confirm this ) that heavy
> trucks that are doing regular long distance trips are underpaying
> their way ,and trucks used for short trip deliveries within the cities
> are being overcharged , as well as the poor motorists who are being
> grossly overcharged.

Many years ago, and I wish I could recall where, I read a report on the physics of road damage which claimed that an average truck did the same damage to road surface and bridge structures as many millions of cars - presumably because of the much greater deformation due to the heavier axle-load.

If this ratio is true, then to have true cost-recovery of our roads, just about the entire cost of interstate highway maintenance would have to be funded by trucks.