Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"Maurie Daly"
> In the case of NRC , around 30% of their total expenses are track
> access charges , so its a significant amount .
> NRC charge on average 2.5 c/ntk , whilst ordinary 42 tonne GVM semi
> trailers can achieve 3 c/ntk and Bdoubles a bit less,so theres not
> much in it , and not enuf to move much freight onto rail.

I've been told Austrac get $900 per box to Melbourne. I know a Driver who also runs a semi who gets $1,500 for a load of steel from
Newcastle to Melbourne.

> There are many problems in making trucks pay their way.
> the most obvious one being just how would you determine how much each
> truckie should pay.

I think the easiest, cheapest, fairest way is to wipe their rego fees and add a charge to fuel. The more fuel they use the more tax
they pay. The same should also be done for cars.