Re: Flinders st tunnell

> The spitting was associated with chewing tobacco. When spat out it would
> have made a mess. Early railway carriages often had spittoons in the floor,
>
> > > Yeah - the DO NOT SPIT signs are heritage.  They've been so well
> > preserved
> > > behind layers and layers of spit built up over the years.
> >
> > Hmm....I don't think telling people aussies used to spit all over the
> > place is a national treasure???

The origin of the "DO NOT SPIT" tiles at Flinders Street comes from
before the 1950s when Tuberculosis (know as TB to most) was very wide
spread.  The main way TB is spread is through peoples spit, hence the
"DO NOT SPIT" signs are actually for health reasons.

The other tiles which are classified are the "KEEP TO THE RIGHT", there
is also another version of this in the Degrave Street Subway. (Just
can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head)

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news