Re: [NSW] Fare evasion (sort of)

I've been thinking about this too, especially with the side gates wide
open at stations with ticket barriers, it'll be hard to even calculate
how many "free trips" have been made over the past two weeks of the
Olympics! (hmm...17 fare free days? for such a wonderful and almost-
faultless rail service over the past two weeks as well!)

I think the Olympic tickets should have had magnetic stripes, and
passengers made to pass through them...but this will obviously put
crowd control under extreme conditions as people bank up at the
barriers.

Any other thoughts?

In article <XZZA5.40439$A4.1272137@news1.giganews.com>,
  "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Wednesday night, the 0120 train from Katoomba (well, it was from Mt.
Vic,
> but it was out of Katoomba at 0120) was declared a failure at
Springwood. 42
> passengers rocked up to the Station Master (oops, Station Manager),
who
> asked where everyone was going. 20 to Central, 21 to places between
> Kingswood and Redfern, 3 to Penrith and 1 to Emu Plains.
>
> He then asked for tickets - only four (including me) had them - so we
caught
> a cab to Penrith (just what I needed after sitting in a cab for 12
hours!) -
> the rest had to wait for the next train.
>
> If this is the level of fare evasion being undertaken (and none of
them were
> tourists and able to plead ignorance) would it have been worthwhile
putting
> some Revenue Protection staff out there? 4 out of 45 with tickets is a
> pretty pathetic ratio.
>
> Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.