Re: Latest news on Speedrail

Railway Rasputin3 wrote:

> In article <39D01201.27C7DEF9@nmit.vic.edu.au>,
>   David Head <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote:
> > A few questions:
> >
> > 1.  Roughly how much would a TGV/Speedrail train cost ?
> vehicle itself or the line construction cost?
> vehicle itself cost around 3.5m$ per carriage.

That what I wanted to know

> > 2. Roughly how much would a "typical" aircraft cost, eg an Airbus or
> a 757 ??
>
> Approx. 88m$ From Cathy Pacific's newsletter. But I'm sure Dave Proctor
> or David Bromage can come up with a more exact figure.

So we have a 88M$ aircraft comapred to say 35M$ ( 10car set). Not too bad,
not a real saving as such when talking in the milions !

As Maurie pointed out I hven't asked about the costs of the track etc.
Nor did I ask the costs of all the aircraft infrastructure ( airports,
radar, beacons, etc.)

As for the four airlines, well Virgin would know what happened to the
airlines that were put out by the TGV's, and wish to "make hay while the
sun shines" - casue a very fast train will reduce those four airline
somewhat !

Checkin times are the interesting point. Has anyone contacted Speedrail to
see what they are hoping for ?

Regards,
David Head