Re: [General] Content of aus.rail

8q90jp$voi$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8q90jp$voi$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> > But do you have the guts to say what you do for a living? To me
that's
> > more useful than your name so I can see where you're coming from (if
> > anywhere).
>
> I have never said what I do because I didn't think it was relevant. I
am a
> computer systems project manager, and nothing professionally to do
with
> railways. I'm just an enthusiast, but one who prefers to learn facts
and
> hold informed discussions (and have the odd laugh), rather than read
a lot
> of obscene mud-slinging.

OK you're a rail enthusiast and now you are meeting real raw rail
people. Sure there are some here who might be called prejudiced, sure
there is obscene mudslinging and whether you or I like it or not that's
real life!

What do you want, an antiseptic NG. If you want that I suggest you
subscribe to some listserv. I'm on one and whilst I sometimes find it
useful its coy politically correct behaviour sometimes drives me mad.
Not to mention the stuck up humourless academics on it!

> > Also when you post inflamatory you can hardly cry when you get
equally
> > strong responses.
> >
> Do you really think dino64's message was an appropriate response to my
> reasonable plea for a sensible n.g.?

He thought it was but neither was your over generalising about this NG
reasonable.

> If you consider my original post inflammatory (and I can't think
why), I
> still would expect a reasonable response, not just some meaningless
> obscenity.

He problably viewed your post as an obscentiy.

Stay on this list but realise that this is life, these are real rail
people.

> > As I said to Paul in the sister thread, show us where you believe
the
> > crap is and more important tell us what you would like to see
posted or
> > shut up!
> >
> The "crap" is typified by the response I got from dino64! I don't
think I
> need to list all the posts that merely contain derogatory remarks
about
> other posters, or wild, unfounded speculation.

I think the majority of the posts on this NG are great. They don't all
appeal to my interests but I don't (wouldn't dare!) tell the NG what
topics it should cover.

>What I would like to see I
> outlined in my original post - fact, observations, rational
discussion, news
> of rail operations and such like.

The facts, observations, rational discussions etc you get might not be
the sort you want.

>Referring to people by the use of racist,
> sexist, or any form of discriminatory language, is NOT appropriate,
and is
> probably illegal. As an example, I cite the recent posts by someone
who was
> suggesting that all female or Indian train guards were incompetent.

It may not be appropriate but it's no use pretending it does not go on.
Just ignore these posts or if you're in the mood give them a good
flaming!

Regards

Frank

> Rgds