Re: Refurbished Comeng set, Melbourne [Vic.]

Roderick Smith wrote:

> I thought that the refurbishment was largely cosmetic, and the claimed benefits
> not substantiated.  The new seats are worse than their predecessors: harder,
> less support.  The pitch which I measured (160 cm for a double bay) is the same
> as the former seats.  The toilet flooring is inferior to carpet.

I believe that the design of those seats is to prevent a syringe been
hidden in the seat cushion.

> Of course, Connex doesn't want people to fall asleep while travelling home for
> over an hour late at night, but I would rather have seats with some place to
> rest my head.  The layout appears to be based on overseas practice where
> journeys are much shorter than those made in Melbourne.

Not quite sure the Connex service that you travelled on that was "over
an hour late"?  Could you provide date and the service concerned,
because I'm not aware of any since privatisation.  A little exaggeration
perhaps?

> The end windows are good.
>
> I would rather have Connex put its money into improved schedules, faster trains,
> and more efficient stations.
> In order to board the Belgrave train, I had to catch a stopping train to Box
> Hill, then walk to a different platform (connections should be cross platform)
> and wait for 7 minutes.

Well, Surrey Hills will be upgraded to a premium station in the near
future and you never know, selected express services may stop there due
to increased customer demands (just like Glenferrie).

Railvic