Re: Melbourne on track for a connie comeback

"Railway Rasputin3" <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
8qjfup$1cp$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8qjfup$1cp$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > - carrying an unvalidated ticket. Validating it when the inspectors
> get on
> > (on trams)
> happened quite often....people especially new user or un-common users.

Yeah, but new or uncommon users aren't the ones who hold unvalidated tickets
in their wallets and only validate them when they see the inspectors board!

> > - knowing which fare gates are frequently left open and unattended (eg
> > Flinders Street Station, Elizabeth Street subway, southern end)
> Or just jump across the fence. Now they installed the glass wall, it
> would be hard to do so.

Where is that? There's still a generally unattended gate near the bridge to
South Bank. I notice that subway is about to be reconstructed - maybe
they'll change it around so it's easier to keep all the gates staffed.

> > In that same carriage, I saw around 5 other people (including one mum
with
> > child, and two pensioners - they come in all shapes and sizes) who
obviously
> > didn't have tickets, and dodged the inspectors. The inspectors only
caught
> > 1.
> tsk tsk...my god! connies won't be introduce on trains, if the plans
> reintroduce station staffs on some of the stations might help....

I don't think it would help the fare evasion problem very much. If you look
at stations like Caulfield, which have staff and fare gates, you very very
rarely see all of the gates closed and staff checking tickets.

I would think more inspectors would help. And they don't need to behave like
Nazis, they just need to be more wise to the tricks that people play in
dodging them. I don't see why when they catch one person, they stop checking
fares of other people who get on while one of them is writing out the fine.

Possibly they need to swarm onto trains in bigger teams, 3 carriages at a
time, leaving some people on the platform to check tickets of people who
jump off when they get on. The stuff I outlined in the previous post (about
dodging fares on trains) I saw in ONE TRAIN JOURNEY! It's not hard to spot
fare dodgers, but the inspectors only seem to catch a fraction of them.

> Which line do you travel most frequently Daniel?

Frankston - I live in Glen Huntly.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia