Re: Melbourne on track for a connie comeback

Very widespread, on both trains and trams. For determined people, the system
is just too easy to dodge around. eg

- jumping off vehicle when inspectors get on
- carrying an unvalidated ticket. Validating it when the inspectors get on
(on trams)
- jumping city station fare gates - anybody reasonably athletic can do it
- knowing which fare gates are frequently left open and unattended (eg
Flinders Street Station, Elizabeth Street subway, southern end)
- not getting onto vehicle when you see inspectors are on it

Last week I even saw a guy get on a train, realise inspectors were in the
next carriage, then at the next stop he produced an unvalidated ticket from
his wallet, dashed out to the validator, validated and jumped back on the
train.

In that same carriage, I saw around 5 other people (including one mum with
child, and two pensioners - they come in all shapes and sizes) who obviously
didn't have tickets, and dodged the inspectors. The inspectors only caught
1.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia